The following facilities and services are available at the Blood River Heritage Site:
What can you see?
- One of the most unique battlefields in South Africa
- A museum exhibit depicting the history of Blood River
- Unique bronze wagon laager and granite wagon monument
- Exhibit about Zulu culture across the river at the Ncome museum
- All the battlefieds in the 150km area (Zulu/Boer, Boer/Brit, Brit/Zulu wars)
- DVD show in the information centre about the battle of Blood River, 16 December 1838
What can you experience?
- Theme shop - open seven days a week. It includes commemorative items, books and post cards
- The "Smouswa" gift shop
- The "Trekker" kitchen restaurant: Breakfast, lunch and evening meals can be booked. Group bookings e.g. for Sunday meals may also be made.
- Traditional "Boere" dishes
- Overnight facilities (4 x en-suite rooms)
- Bed and breakfast
- Camp site with 154 stands, electricity and warm water in the ablution block with dish washing facilities.
- Many camp sites without electricity
- Groups may view a DVD on the battle of Blood River and visit the site afterwards.
- School groups with their own sleeping bags are welcome to spend the night. Prior booking is essential.
- Many historical sites in the area. Includes die Great Trek, the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 and the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.
• Bird watching
• Mountain biking
• Quad bikes
• Kids playground
• Cellphone reception
• Credit cards welcome
• Pets NOT allowed
• Ice for sale
• Picnic facility
• Shop / Kiosk
• Take aways
• Wood for sale